Brian told me that one of the firemen who responded was laughing at me....taking a picture of my child in the ambulance!
Just in case some of you are wondering why we had to take her to the ER in the ambulance:
They informed us that even though she wasn't having any major breathing problems at the time they arrived, that it didn't mean she wouldn't have them. I guess kids can "compensate" for a very long time, and then can go into anaphylactic shock. The fireman said that means (in layman's terms) "when they go.... they go."(basically you have no time!) So, we didn't want to take any chances.
We were prescriped "epi-pens" for Megan and have to see an Allergist to make sure that she isn't allergic to anything else.
There are few things more frightening than watching your little girl's face swell up before your eyes! Especially when you are aware of what can happen in a matter of minutes. I'm just so thankful that I had the "fast melt" Benadryl on hand...very helpful!

11 comments:
Jamie, SO PROUD of you for thinking to take a picture of Megan in the ambulance! YAY for you!:D Sorry about the scare, though. Love, Ruthanne
I just had all my allergy testing done and get to carry an epi pen now too. It is not fun, but at least you know now and not in your late twenties.
That is one of my nightmares! I know it is so scary.... Thankfully none of mine have been allergic to anything except sunscreen! (Benadryl worked for that too!)
The peanut allergy is tough though because it is in so many things that you don't even think about.
I am sure the EMT's were laughing....poor mother addicted to blogging, MUST have pics! :=)
Wow! That does sound awfully scary! Maybe I'll get some of those to keep on hand, although, so far (THANKFULLY) we haven't had any allergy problems!!
She looks so poised and yet scared at the same time :) So glad she is alright. It certainly gave us a scare here in Florida. Love you guys
Jamie... in response to your comment on our blog, I do have an allergy to nuts, actually walnuts not peanuts. The above comment is a different Sara, although I did wonder at first when I had commented, as it looks just like me! :) I might be able to answer some of your questions because the anaphylactic reaction is much the same with all nuts I think (peanuts being more severe). What a scary thing! So great that you knew just what to do though! The picture in the ambulance just cracks me up...
Michael is very allergic to peanuts but has never shown any allergy to anything else. I keep an epi-pen Jr. in my purse and of course they have one at school. It gets SO much easier when they are old enough to always ask if something contains nuts before they eat it (such as when at a friends house, at a VBS, etc.) and he has been so good about it. That must have been a scary evening!
So if Sara Marshall and Sara Graham have allergies, maybe you better not name any kids with the name Sara. Especially without the /h/ it maybe jinks.
Michael is allergic to them too - we carry an epi-pen everywhere.
Thankfully we've never had to use it. It was wonderful when he was old enough to ask for himself if something contained peanuts and I didn't have to worry about it anymore.
I'm so sorry you had to go through that, it must have been very frightening.
I enjoyed all your new posts.
We were close to you guys on our way home. Beautiful country!
Sorry to read of the peanut incident. We went through the same thing with Ethan but with walnuts. I get scared looking back because I took him in the bathroom, brushed/rinsed his mouth and watched him go back to normal. (I might have given him a nebulizer treatment.) During his allergy testing I told of the incident, and the doctors' eyes almost popped out of their heads. One nurse was almost gasping while telling me what could have happened - - then I was scared and thankful that nothing happened to him. I would have felt guilty the rest of my life!
Oops! Sorry about the two posts - I had done one and since you were out of town and hadn't approved the comments I thought I hadn't done one and did another! Too funny.
Post a Comment